It's been a little over three months since I started working at Ostlie's Sunnyside Acres, but the experience has been so life changing, that three months seems short. I came to the farm with no idea of what I was getting into, just lots of enthusiasm and very weak arms.
Here are some of the amazing things I've been able to gain from interning with the Ostlies
- Became a speedy painter and amateur carpenter while fixing up the old granary. I can't wait to come to an event next summer and see it more complete!
- Learned that garlic isn't just that bland stuff from the store, it's many varieties with a wide range of flavors and strengths.
- Decided that grass is the most annoying weed: thistles can hurt, but grass grows way too fast.
- Canned so many tomatoes that I think I could peel and core tomatoes in my sleep.
- Gone from struggling to lift some pails of water, to moving tons of lumber by myself; the weak arms are tanner and a little bit stronger.
- Convinced their fluffy indoor cat, Pearl, to act like an extra blanket at night.
- I've also been able to experience a dream of mine, hops harvest. (you can see me on the left of the picture above, pretty happy hand picking some hops!)
I came here to learn about hops, and I have, but all of the little surprising things I've learned are what have made this internship such a great experience. There will be a new intern or two next year, because I got a job at a brewery! I can confidently say that working here, and especially getting to network with brewers and beer lovers at our Hops Field Day, is what helped me get a job in the industry I love. It hasn't been the easiest job, but it has been incredibly rewarding.
I have to thank Lindsay for showing me how everything works on the farm and teaching me so many things. Mike for teaching me so much about plants and answering all my questions about hops. Even the little kids, for being so kind and making things interesting and more fun. I'd also like to thank Macey, another girl who helped on the farm with me sometimes, for making work go way faster with all the fun we had. I am going to miss you all, but I'll be seeing you at future events on the farm!